At Cansfield High School we deem it is important to set about making excellent progress in your child’s learning by reinforcing crucial knowledge beyond the classroom. To help structure this important aspect of their learning students have access to Knowledge Organisers for all subject areas. The Knowledge Organisers will help your son/daughter to learn a wide range of knowledge to prepare them for lessons, low/high stake assessments and GCSE public examinations, and the world of work when used appropriately, consistently and in structured time. Knowledge Organisers encourage students to be independent when developing knowledge. Each half term students will receive a booklet, which comprises of knowledge organisers for all subjects in the curriculum. Moreover, this booklet is available on the school website, the MyED app and emailed to parents.
Why Knowledge Organisers?
The GCSE specifications have a greater focus on application, reasoning and evaluation skills. This leaves less time in class to focus on ‘the bits they just have to know’. If knowledge retention is improved, this will have a positive impact on levels of attainment and achievement.
Decay theory states that if learning is not used, revisited or rehearsed it simply fades away.
How to use your Knowledge Organiser
To get the most out of the Knowledge Organisers, your son/daughter should be learning sections and then testing themselves. Listed below are strategies and tips on how your son/daughter can successfully use their Knowledge Organisers.
1 Look Cover Write Check Correct
2 Question / Answers, Answers / Questions
3 Map Your Mind
Expectations of Students
Students are expected to:
- Read through their Knowledge Organisers in preparation for lessons
- Know all knowledge for each subject during each half term block
- Use their Knowledge Organisers on a regular basis as independent study at home
- Prepare for all low stakes and high stakes assessments using their knowledge organiser
- Y11 students may be given additional home learning to support the preparation of public examinations
Knowledge Organiser Booklets
Click on the link below the access each knowledge organiser:
Autumn Term 1 (2020-21)
- Yr 7 Autumn Term 1 Knowledge Organiser
- Yr 8 Autumn Term 1 Knowledge Organiser
- Yr 9 Autumn Term 1 Knowledge Organiser
- Yr 10 Autumn Term 1 Knowledge Organiser
- Yr 11 Autumn Term 1 Knowledge Organiser
Autumn Term 2
Spring Term 1
Spring Term 2
- Year 7 Spring Term 2
- Year 8 Spring Term 2
- Year 9 Spring Term 2
- Year 10 Spring Term 2
- Year 11 Spring Term 2
Further Optional Home Learning
From time to time students may wish to consolidate and strengthen their understanding independently, and we recommend students utilising the following e-learning resources:
Any questions or queries relating to home learning should be directed to Mrs Daniels (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).