Visitors to Cansfield invariably comment on the pride that our students take in their uniform. This in turn speaks volumes about how they feel about being part of this community. We have unashamedly high expectations in this regard and we are incredibly grateful for the support that we receive from parents and carers to ensure that these high standards are upheld. On this page you will find precise details about the school uniform code, guidelines about appearance and details about the school uniform suppliers.
Following requests from senior students in our school we have recently moved to a gender-neutral uniform, ensuring that every student feels that they belong to our school, no matter who they are.
|A royal blue blazer||With embroidered school badge. This should be worn at all times unless otherwise directed by the Headteacher.|
|A white shirt||Tucked in and buttoned to the neck at all times.|
|A school tie||With the Cansfield lion worn under the knot.|
Black school trousers OR
Black school skirt
Trousers: These should not be fashion or fitted legging type.
Skirts: Should be of a decent length sitting no higher than 5cm above the knee.
Socks OR Tights
Socks: They should be black.
Tights: Plain black only. Patterned tights are NOT acceptable.
|Shoes||Should be formal with a low heel. They must be plain black and polishable, with no coloured flashes or soles. They should keep feet dry and be durable and supporting. Trainers, pumps or canvas shoes are NOT acceptable even if they are black.|
|Black ‘V’ necked jumper (optional)||With the school badge embroidered on it – cardigans are not allowed. This is optional. It should not replace the blazer.|
|Outdoor coats||Should be of one colour, protective and big enough to go over the complete uniform including the blazer.|
The Performance Faculty will direct you as to the specific items you will need from the items listed below:
- Black polo shirt with blue trim
- Black shorts/skort with a blue trim
- Trainers (NO pumps or canvas/converse pumps)
- Black base layer (optional)
- Black football socks
- Shin pads
- A black reversible rugby shirt with a blue trim
- Black hooded sweatshirt with blue trim
- Football/rugby boots
The correct PE kit must always be brought to every lesson. Students must always bring their PE kit, any student excused from taking part physically, will still be expected to get changed and be engaged in the learning of the lesson. It should be noted sanctions are in place if a student forgets an item of kit. If a student forgets their PE kit they are expected to wear a spare kit provided by school. Any students with long hair are expected to bring a hair bobble to every lesson to tie their hair back.
Please ensure all uniform, sportswear and equipment is clearly named. This is very important and helps us to return lost property to its rightful owner.
All students are expected to look smart at all times. It is not just the items of uniform that are important but also how we look.
At Cansfield we do not permit students to have extreme haircuts or haircuts that draw unnecessary attention to themselves.
- Haircuts should be nothing under a number 2 with no distinct lines or steps in hair.
- Artwork/patterns/lines or steps on scalp are not permitted.
- Lines in eyebrows are not permitted.
- Hair should be of a natural colour.
- Hair should be worn neatly and off the face at all times.
- Hair should be tied back for practical subjects.
- Hair accessories should be small and blue or black in colour.
- On health and safety grounds we do not allow students to wear any jewellery in school.
- The exception to this is a traditional wrist watch. We ask that students remove these during PE to prevent them causing injury.
- Students are encouraged to have their ears pierced during summer holidays to allow time for ears to heal. Those who wear jewellery will be asked to remove it.
- Persistent offenders can expect to have items confiscated. Students cannot expect to be allowed to cover piercings with a plaster, nor use retainers.
- All outdoor clothing including coats, scarves, gloves should not be worn inside the building.
- Casual clothing items including hoodies, sweatshirts are not allowed.
Student should be aware that following are not acceptable and should not be worn.
- False nails.
- Fake tan.
- Permanent body art.
If students arrive incorrectly dressed, they will be challenged by their teachers. A swift resolution will always be sought, but in some cases, students will be asked to stay away from the main body of school at break and lunchtime.
We ask that all parents help us achieve the highest standards of uniform by ensuring that uniform is worn as intended without any fashion alternatives. Your support is very much appreciated.
If you have any queries regarding uniform or appearance please contact school for clarification before items are purchased or decision about haircuts made.
6 Gerard Street
Ashton in Makerfield
Swam Meadow Road